5 Important Workers Compensation Tips
If you have been injured on the job, filing a workers compensation claim is highly recommended. This will ensure that you are able to take advantage of the benefits that you deserve. The workers compensation will provide coverage for your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and loss of income. To help with the process, consider these five important workers compensation tips:
- Report the Injury Right Away: As soon as you have suffered from the injury, you should file your claim or have your workers compensation attorney do it for you. You have a limited time to file, which is usually up to a month. If you don't file right away, your claim is most likely going to be denied unless your injuries were severe and you were not able to file a claim due to a disability.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were any witnesses, ask them to file a witness statement for you. This will help your attorney prove your claim further, which helps you receive the compensation that you deserve.
- Don't Miss Medical Appointments: Missing medical appointments can affect your case. This is because it can prove that you are not truly injured, even if you are. You should also follow all of your doctor's orders, such as getting lab tests done, going to rehab for your injuries, and more. If you don't do these things, your doctor may not be willing to testify for your injuries.
- Don't Give a Recorded Statement: When the workers compensation insurance company calls you, they are likely going to ask that you provide a recorded statement about your injuries. It's important not to do this even if they try to tell you that it is necessary. If you give a recorded statement, it can easily be held against you.
- Always Get Assistance from an Attorney: When dealing with a workers compensation case, it's best to hire a workers compensation attorney to assist you. They will be able to talk to the insurance company for you, which is the best way to avoid saying anything to the insurance company that can be held against you. They will also be able to negotiate a settlement with the insurance company for you so that you are sure to receive an amount that is within your range.
When you know these five important workers compensation tips, you can be sure that you go through with the filing process in the best way in order to receive the amount that you deserve.