Personal Injury Cases: Moving on to Better Things

Injured At Work? What You Need To Know About Your Medical Care

If you've been injured on the job, you need to seek medical care as soon as possible. If you're not sure whether or not you can choose your own doctor, you should know it depends on the state in which you live. If you live in California, you might be able to use your primary care physician for your worker's compensation treatment.

To do that, you will have needed to submit a form designating your primary care physician as your physician of choice for on-the-job injury treatment. If you didn't submit the form prior to your accident, you will need to receive care from a doctor chosen by your employer. Here's some information about how your medical care will proceed.

Your Initial Visit

If your injuries are work-related, you'll need to report the injuries to your employer as quickly as possible. If you've decided to wait until after your initial doctor's visit, be sure to ask your doctor for a note regarding your injuries. During your initial visit, your doctor will document your injuries, as well as how the injuries occurred. They'll also determine whether or not you require time off from work for your injuries. It's important that you be completely truthful with your doctor during the initial visit.

The doctor will use that information to determine the type of additional treatment you might need. In most cases, you can visit your own physician for this initial visit. However, you might need to switch to a worker's compensation physician, especially if you didn't pre-designate a physician of your choice.

Receiving Ongoing Treatment

Regardless of whether you've designated a physician, you may be referred to a specialist for your on-going treatment. During this time, it's important that you follow your physician's orders. The insurance company will be using information from your on-going treatment to determine the severity of your injuries, as well as your need for things such as vocational training, durable medical goods, and even monetary compensation for your injuries. Failure to follow doctor's orders during treatment could undermine your ability to receive the compensation you're entitled to. It's important to note that if you aren't satisfied with the doctor that your employer has chosen, you can request a change.

If you've been injured on the job, don't jeopardize your right to receive treatment for your injuries. Be sure to seek medical care as soon as possible. If you're having a difficult time obtaining the care you're entitled to, you need to consult with a worker's compensation attorney from a firm like The Law Office of Israel S Hernandez, PLLC.