Personal Injury Cases: Moving on to Better Things

Who Can Sue For Wrongful Death And Who Can Be Sued?

If a person you are related to or close to has died too soon due to the fault of another person or business, it may be possible you can issue a wrongful death claim. This will involve filing a lawsuit against the defendant to attempt to recover compensation for this untimely death. If you are in this situation, there are specific things that will help you better understand if you are eligible to sue and which party should be sued for a death that occurred too soon.

What is a wrongful death claim?

The first thing you may want to know is what qualifies as a wrongful death. When a person dies, and this is due to negligence or legal misconduct by another individual or in some cases a company, this party should be held liable.  The first step in doing so will involve filing a lawsuit against this party.

It may be possible to recover some of the medical costs, the funeral expenses or money for pain and suffering due to the loss of a loved one.

Who can sue?

In order to be able to legally take action against another party in this situation, you must qualify to do so.

Listed below are the individuals who can file a wrongful death claim:

1.  Any immediate family member has the right to sue, in this case.

2.  People who are referred to as life partners and may have been financially dependent on the deceased.

3.  Depending on the situation, a distant family member may be capable of taking legal action. For instance, if a grandparent was the legal guardian of a child and the child died, a wrongful death lawsuit may be possible.

What Parties can be sued?

When it comes to issuing the lawsuit to the correct party, this will require the assistance of your attorney.  This will be the ones that are responsible for the early death of your loved one and possible parties that may face a lawsuit are listed below:

1.  If the wrongful death was the result of an automobile accident, the driver who was at fault might be faced with a lawsuit.

2.  If alcohol was sold to a minor and an accident resulted in the death of this person, the store owner may be faced with a lawsuit of this type.

Finally, if you feel that you qualify for filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you will need legal assistance. Be sure to consult with a wrongful death lawyer who can help guide you through the necessary steps.